How to Get Rid of Mushrooms in My Lawn

how to get rid of mushroomMushrooms can be both a burden and a blessing, depending on how you view them. The umbrella shape can be attractive in some gardens but for others; they do nothing to the aesthetic value of the land. Fortunately, there are several methods individuals can use to get rid of mushrooms in the lawn.

  • Mushrooms thrive on dark and damp places so make sure that the lawn is deprived of those. Make sure that there is no poop, litter, grass trimmings or leaves lying around the area that could present enough humidity for the mushrooms to grow in. Any organic decay can risk mushroom growth. By maintaining your garden, the likelihood of mushrooms growing would be minimized.
  • You can also try removing the mushrooms as they come. Make sure that the gills aren’t exposed yet when you pick them up so the spores wouldn’t be released.
  • Overwatering the lawn is one of the reasons for mushroom growth. Try limiting the amount of water you use for the plants.
  • Try using fungus control for the lawn. They can be bought in various stores and are effective in stopping all kinds of mushrooms from sprouting.
  • Place large gravel right on top of the mushroom bed. This should prevent the spores from growing, creating more mushroom in your land.
  • Dispose the mushroom properly. Leaving them lying around the lawn will only increase more spores to the air, causing further growth after just a few weeks.
  • Try to balance the amount of nitrogen in your soil. Mushrooms tend to grow when there is too much nitrogen in the soil. Use a fertilizer or other over-the-counter products for this. Concentrate on the areas where the mushrooms tend to grow.
  • Splash around some cornmeal on the soil, specifically where the mushrooms have been originally uprooted. This is a natural fungicide that should stop the other pores from taking root.

Understanding what attracts mushrooms is the first step in getting rid of them from your lawn. Note that some mushrooms are poisonous while others are edible. To be on the safe side, most homeowners simply remove the fungus regardless of what type they are.

photo credit

Reference: Gardening Illustrated, Volume 16 (Google eBook)

Share and Enjoy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *